So apparently there is some big football game happening this weekend? I’m not a sports person, but I can definitely get behind the idea of making good food and celebrating with friends and family. Maybe you’ve got an upcoming ski trip planned or are having folks over to watch the Olympics next month – you can always use a good appetizer in your back pocket! With that in mind, today I’ve got a really yummy yet simple dish that is inspired by our friends in the Southern US – Hot Pimento Cheese Dip with Baked Naan Bread Chips. Pimento Cheese is a delicious spread they use on crackers, sandwiches and vegetables, but I’ve taken the ingredients and turned them into a hot bubbly dip that is sure to please your guests.
Pimento, also called a cherry pepper, is a large red chilli pepper that is sweet and more aromatic than it’s cousin, the red bell pepper. You can often find it canned or jarred in the US, and I have my parents bring me back a couple of cans when they’re down in Florida.
I keep canned pimentos in the pantry for dishes like this, but also to add into pasta dishes, curry or onto a homemade pizza. This Hot Pimento Cheese Dip pairs those flavourful peppers with cheese, mayonnaise and spices for just a little kick.
You can serve this dip with crackers, baguettes, veggies or my favourite – Baked Naan Bread Chips (recipe below). The chips are easy to make-ahead and then you can whip up the dip in minutes right before company arrives. I’ve also taken this appetizer to a friends’ house, making the chips ahead of time and bring the dip ready to bake in the baking dish so that I just pop it in the oven when I get there.
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp canned or jarred pimento peppers, diced
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- optional: ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together all ingredients.
- Pour into a small baking dish or pie plate.
- Baked for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.
- Serve with Baked Naan Bread Chips, crackers or veggies.
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, mix together all ingredients.
Pour into a small baking dish or pie plate.
Baked for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Serve with Baked Naan Bread Chips, crackers or veggies.
- 3 naan
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice naan
breadsinto wedges with a sharp knife or pizza cutter.
- Arrange wedges on single layer a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush all wedges lightly with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Baked for 20-25 minutes or until a deep golden brown.
- Cool completely
- Serve with Hot Pimento Cheese Dip.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Slice naan breads into wedges with a sharp knife or pizza cutter.
Arrange wedges on single layer a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush all wedges lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
Baked for 20-25 minutes or until a deep golden brown. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Serve Hot Pimento Cheese Dip with Baked Naan Bread Chips. Enjoy!