- 1 lb (500g) bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 lb (500g) white chocolate, roughly chopped
- 8 drops of peppermint oil or peppermint extract
- ¾ cup (175 ml) crushed candy canes
- In a double broiler on medium heat, melt the bittersweet chocolate, stirring constantly.
- Stir in 4 drops of the peppermint oil.
- Line a 11" x 17" rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. (You can adjust the amount of chocolate you use if you have a smaller baking sheet). Pour the melted chocolate all over the sheet. Spread it evenly all around. Chill for about an hour, or until set.
- In the double broiler, melt the white chocolate, stirring constantly. Stir in 4 drops of peppermint oil.
- Add in ½ cup of the chopped candy canes.
- Spread the white chocolate mixture all over the chilled dark chocolate, spreading right to the edge of the pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup of chopped candy canes all over the pan. Chill until set, about 4 hours, or even overnight.
- Break into little pieces. You can serve this, or even package it up for a great last minute special gift. Keep refrigerated before serving.
- It will keep in the refrigerator for about 3 weeks.
It will keep in the refrigerator for about 3 weeks, but I guarantee you that it won’t last that long. We made ours on Christmas Eve, and it was gone by the evening of the 27th. So around here is last 3 days max.
Fun Gift Idea: Package it up in these cute mason jars.
Update: My family played a prank on me with the 2013 batch of peppermint bark – they put in little potato stamp “bird footprints”…and I totally bought it!