Summer cooking is all about simple, easy meals that don’t require you to turn the oven on and heat the whole place up. As much as I love a good lasagna dinner, this is not the time of year for that.
Any chance we get, we’ve been using the new BBQ this year. These Chili-Lime Chicken Skewers are the perfect easy weeknight dinner that can be prepped even the morning or night before and save you time when you get home. We paired them with a chopped salad and some jalapeno-ranch dipping sauce on the side. Delish! The leftovers are also great for salads or quesadillas.
What you’ll need:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- wooden or metal skewers
Add the marinade and chicken to a large sealable plastic bag, seal and shake well. Store in the fridge for at least an hour, but overnight is best.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat and grill the skewers for 3-5 minutes on each side until chicken is cook through.
Garrett is The Grill Master in this house. Anything I prepare, he will expertly cook. I especially love his grill marks 🙂
I’m packing up this recipe to take with us this weekend for our annual Canada Day cottage trip. It’s the perfect make-ahead meal for outdoor cooking!
- Prepare chicken chunks in the marinade in advance.
- Freeze bag of chicken until ready to leave. Toss it into the cooler when you go and it will be thawed by the time you’re ready to use it.
- Cut vegetables in advance and store them in the fridge/cooler.
- Bring skewers and soak them in a water bottle for about 30 minutes before you’re ready to grill.
- Thread chicken (and vegetables if using) onto soaked skewers.
- Grill as directed above.
- Enjoy and be thankful that you don’t have to eat hot dogs over the fire again for dinner.