I love the creamy, flavourful sauce, dotted with peas and mushrooms. If you have little ones who are picky, you can swap these our for their favourite vegetables.
What you’ll need:
- 12 oz egg noodles, spaghetti, linguini or other pasta
- 12 ounces mushrooms, sliced (about 4-5 cups)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry (or dry white wine)
- 3 cups coarsely chopped cooked turkey
- 1 cup peas
- 2/3 cup freshly grated parmesan (divided into 1/3 and 1/3 cups)
- 1/3 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1/3 cup fine fresh Bread Crumbs
- Freshly chopped Parsley for garnish (optional)
Sauté mushrooms in 3 tbsp of butter over medium heat, until all the liquid released from the mushrooms has evaporated, about 5-10 minutes. Set aside.
As the ingredients are ready, I like to toss them all into a big bowl while I wait for the sauce to be made.
In a large saucepan, melt ¼ cup of butter over low heat. Stir in flour to make a roux, and continue to cook while stirring for 3 minutes.
Stir in 1/3 cup of Parmesan and 1/3 cup of Swiss cheese. Stir in lemon juice and add salt and pepper to taste. Add in a pinch of nutmeg (optional).
In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/3 cup of Parmesan with the bread crumbs. Sprinkle mixture over the casserole and dot with remaining 1 tbsp of butter, cut into tiny pieces.