With Canada Day this week and us dog sitting for family (more on that tomorrow), it’s been kind of chaotic over here on the meal front. We thankfully had plenty of leftovers for lunches/dinners after having company over on this week, but I wanted to think of something I could make ahead of time to have a quick healthy breakfast on hand.
Then I remembered the awesome Cranberry Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal that I made when my sister was home last fall – and it struck me, why not make a summer version of my favourite cold weather treat using seasonal fruit?
I had containers of blueberries, raspberries and fresh Ontario strawberries (the best) in the fridge and the rest was stuff I already had in the pantry, so this came together in no time. I made it on Tuesday evening, let it cool and then popped it in the fridge so that Garrett could help himself when he got up for work the next morning. Then when I rolled out of bed hours later, I scooped some out for myself too. It’s so easy to reheat it with just a splash of milk and a quick 45-60 second zap in the microwave.
- 2 cups oats
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups milk (or split it half milk and half cream for a richer dish)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups fresh berries (I used a combination of strawberries, blueberries and raspberries)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- optional: maple syrup and milk for serving
- Preheat oven to 375°C.
- In a 2 quart baking dish, mix oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- In a mixing bowl or measuring cup, whisk together milk, egg, melted butter, honey and vanilla.
- Pour wet mixture or dry mixture and stir to combine.
- Fold in berries. Sprinkle the top with 1 tbsp brown sugar and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Serve hot and drizzle each serving with maple syrup.
- To reheat it, add a splash of milk and microwave it until warm.
Preheat oven to 375°C. In a 2 quart baking dish, mix oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
In a mixing bowl or measuring cup, whisk together milk, egg, melted butter, honey and vanilla. Pour wet mixture over dry mixture and stir to combine.
Fold in berries.
Sprinkle the top with 1 tbsp brown sugar and bake for 30-35 minutes.
Serve hot and drizzle each serving with maple syrup.
To reheat this baked oatmeal the next morning, I added a splash of milk and microwaved it until warm.
/ / /
Psst – looking for a more flavour combinations of this recipe? Try these…