I’ve been in a bit of a lunch rut lately. Getting back into a routine after the holidays has proved harder than I thought, and I’ve been uninspired with packing our lunches. We need to get back into our healthy routine but the thought of another spring salad mix just hasn’t been doing it for me.
5-Grain Power Salad
Author: Amanda - Life at Cloverhill
Serves: 8 cups
- 2-1/2 cups cooked spelt, barley or wheat berries (I used a 5-grain mix of spelt, barley, brown rice, wheat berries and oats)
- 1-1/2 cups cooked or canned black beans (or red kidney beans or chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 handfuls washed and shredded kale
- handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tbsp lemon juice (about one lemon)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp powdered mustard
- ½ tsp honey
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook your grains and beans according to package directions. Rinse with cold water and drain. You can make this ahead and set aside in a large bowl while you prepare the dressing.
- In a large skillet, add 1 tbsp olive oil and sauté garlic on medium-low for 1-2 minutes. Add in onion and cook for 5-6 minutes or until translucent. Add kale and sauté until wilted.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Add to skillet and stir well.
- Pour mixture into the grains and beans; and stir well. For the best flavour, chill for at least an hour to let the flavours develop or enjoy warm immediately. Refrigerate leftovers for up to 3 days.
Sheila Englsh says
I too am bowl obsessed. As well as being useful for so many purposes the colours can be quite beautiful and the shape is always beautiful.
chelsea jacobs says
Yum! Definitely need to try this!