Last weekend my five-year-old cousin came to visit for her first sleepover at our place and we decided to make these cookies while wearing our new Christmas aprons. I was really glad that we did, because with all her “help” baking I was soon covered in flour and then blue icing. Oh to be a messy little kid again and not think about laundry.
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
- n a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in egg and vanilla and beat to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Stir dry ingredients into the creamed mixture slowly,
- If it goes a bit crumbly, add a few tablespoons of cold water and mix until it forms a nice dough.
- Divide the dough in half and wrap each half in plastic wrap. Put them in the fridge for about an hour or until they're firm.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each ball of dough until it is about ¼" thick. Use cookie cutters to make shapes and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes. Keep in mind that smaller cookies take less time. You want them to be lightly golden on the edges. When they are done transfer them over to a rack and let them cool completely before you decorate.
In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
Add in egg and vanilla and beat to combine. Set aside.
Stir dry ingredients into the creamed mixture slowly, in several additions. This will help make a smoother dough.
- 1 cup confectioner's
sugar / icingsugar
- 2 tsp milk
- 2 tsp light corn syrup
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- food colouring
- In a small bowl stir together the confectioner's sugar and milk until its smooth.
- Beat in the light corn syrup and vanilla extract until the icing is smooth and glossy.
- Divide into separate bowls and add food colouring to get the colours that you like.
- You can dip the cookies in the icing, or paint them on with a clean brush.