Growing up with a severe peanut and tree nut allergy, there were very few foreign foods that I was able to experience safely. It wasn’t until I was an adult that allergies become well known and restaurants started preparing food safely. It was about seven years ago that I was first introduced to Indian food and since then it has become one of my favourites.
Grilled Tandoori-Style Chicken
Serves: 4-6 servings
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a large sealable plastic bag and knead to combine. Add chicken to bag and allow to marinate at least 30 minutes.
- Heat grill to medium heat. Remove chicken from bag and place on hot grill. Discard marinade. Cook chicken on the grill 5-6 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Allow to rest for 10 minutes, then slice thinly with a sharp knife.
- Serve with your favourite Indian side dishes such as basmati and naan (Indian flatbread). For an extra touch, drizzle the chicken with fresh lime juice and grill the bread before serving. The leftovers are great in sandwiches too.
Combine all marinade ingredients in a large sealable plastic bag and knead to combine. Add chicken to bag and allow to marinate at least 30 minutes.
This looks and sounds yummy. Going to try it this weekend. Thanks for the recipe.
[email protected] says
Would you believe I’ve never had Indian food? But this sounds delicious – I’l have to try it.
Amanda - Small Home Big Start says
You need to try it – so flavourful! My favourite is usually butter chicken over basmati rice when I’m out.
This is by far the best chicken I have ever had…I have made this recipe so much that I have had to print it off 3 times (because it gets torn and full of stains)!!