Usually I love making yummy homemade dinners for us. Preparing a healthy, delicious meal at the end of the day can be really satisfying, and I tend to make enough that we have leftovers for the next evening and lunches, to save time in the kitchen. However…as I near the end of this pregnancy, I’m finding myself less motivated to cook. I’m exhausted from the usual day-to-day activities and ready for some quick food and rest. Garrett has been great with helping do grocery shopping and my mom even surprised us the other night with homemade chili and cornbread muffins. When I do cook, I’ve started making less elaborate meals. Sometimes a good sandwich and salad is all you need!
I pulled together this Turkey Brie Melt for dinner last night, and I couldn’t resist sharing. It’s super easy and oh so good. It does contain deli meat and soft cheese, but as long as the meat is steamed to 165°F and the cheese is pasteurized, my doctor says it is okay during pregnancy.
- 6 slices roasted turkey breast deli meat
- 4 slices multigrain bread
- ½ granny smith apple, thinly sliced
- 4 oz brie cheese, sliced
- optional: honey mustard or apricot preserves
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Steam the turkey for 30-60 seconds in the microwave until steaming
- Butter two pieces of multigrain bread and place butter side up on a foil-lined baking sheet
- Arrange turkey slices on top of bread, then sliced apple, followed by brie cheese.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese has melted and is bubbly. Watch carefully to make sure it doesn't burn.
- Butter the last two pieces of bread. You can add honey mustard for a tangy twist or apricot preserves for a sweeter taste.
- Place bread slices on top of cheese and transfer to
- Serve with a side salad or kettle chips.
It really is incredibly easy to make a simple gourmet sandwich by layering toppings, and popping them under the broiler until the cheese has melted.
All that melted brie…yes please!
Super easy dinner that is just what this pregnant gal needed.