Today was Garrett’s birthday and to celebrate we had his family over for a nice dinner together. It was great to put the leaves in the table, put on a table cloth, set out the good cutlery and have everyone laughing around the table.
I found this fun banner from Carrie at Fish Scraps (free printable!) and hung it up with twine in the dining room. It was a nice little surprise for Garrett when he woke up this morning.
Dinner came together nicely with a tasty Italian-inspired menu – lasagna, garlic bread and caesar salad.
I used my Great Aunt Marian’s awesome lasagna recipe. I was able to make the meat sauce and grate the cheese the night before, and then put it all together tonight before everyone came over.
I made a simple caesar salad with romaine lettuce, caesar dressing and freshly grated parmesan. The garlic bread was fresh baguettes with garlic butter and grated mozzarella cheese.
But I think the star of the show was this giant, soft and gooey chocolate chip skillet cookie. My friend Shannon told me about this great dessert back in June and it’s been on my mind ever since then. When I mentioned it to Garrett, he was excited to have it as his “birthday cake” this year. The recipe was easy and it tasted fantastic.
- 6 tbsp butter, room temperature
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar with a wooden spoon. Stir in egg and vanilla. Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir in chocolate chips. Transfer to a 10-inch cast-iron skillet; smooth top.
- Bake until cookie is golden brown and just set in the center, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Happy Birthday Big Guy!