We had a little Christmas party at the farmhouse last weekend for some family and friends, to celebrate the season. I used a few recipes from my Holiday Guide, along with a few new ones, including this festive and colourful Holiday Sangria. Loaded with red wine, fresh fruit, juice and a little spice, this Holiday Sangria is not only delicious but also very easy to whip up before a party.
Sangria is a great sweet wine cocktail that is budget‐friendly and can serve a crowd. I love that you can make the drink ahead of time (it’s better that way) and then pull the pitcher out of the fridge just as guests are arriving. Cheers!
- 1 bottle of red wine cabernet sauvignon, merlot or shiraz
- 1-1/2 cup cranberry juice
- 1-1/2 cup orange juice
- ½ cup vodka
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup cranberries fresh or frozen
- ½ pear washed, cored and thinly sliced
- ½ orange washed and thinly sliced
- ½ lemon washed and thinly sliced
- ½ lime washed and thinly sliced
- 1 can (approx 1-1/2 cups) ginger ale
- Pour wine into a large pitch.
- Add the juices, vodka, cinnamon sticks and fruit; and give it a stir.
- Cover the pitcher and then put it in the fridge for at least 4 hours to allow to flavours to develop.
- When you're ready to serve, add the ginger ale and stir gently to combine.
- Serve extra fruit slices and cranberries as a garnish.