This week’s update for the One Room Challenge is popping up late on a Saturday morning because we had a huge wind storm yesterday that knocked out the power and internet. Thankfully we only had a few small trees and branches fall down and faired much better than most people in Ontario.
I’d hoped to have gotten done more in the last week but between getting our taxes finished and having an exhausting week with this pregnancy, I just couldn’t find the time or the motivation. So that means between now and Wednesday I’ll be in turbo mode to get it all done. It will be so nice to have this room finished.
Last week we had a big transformation with the new flooring being laid and the paint colour going up. We had the flooring professionally installed and I’m so glad we spent the money to get it done properly.
They came back yesterday to install the transition between rooms. They did a custom piece of hickory using two different stains and ended up getting it spot on. I love how well the new flooring goes with the carpet in the living room too.
Garrett has been helping me with all the caulking and priming that I can’t do and I plan to finish up the last of the painting this weekend.
He even went along all the cracks in the original paint of the stairs so that I just need to give them all a quick coat to look as good as new.
Originally I’d planned to take this antique headboard and turn it into a coat rack, but when we held it up, it felt too big and too dark for this space. I’m thinking about adding the hooks and using it in our back mudroom to hang our work coats and such. Which means I still need something on the wall of the front hall.
I was having a hard time finding something that would work for the space, when I remembered this old mirror I had hanging in my first apartment.
I have always liked the details on this mirror and even the little spots where it’s broken add to the charm. I’d thought about getting them repaired at one time, but I kind of like leaving them now.
I love the look of simple candlestick holders on a wall, so I went to the local thrift store and found this candelabra for $4.
I was able to get my brother to take off the top, cut it in half and then weld some washers to the top for hanging them on the wall.
Garrett is spraypainting the floor registers this weekend and plans to give these a couple of light coats too. I just need to find some nice candlesticks for them. They’ll purely be for decoration and we won’t be lighting them.
My plan is to have them on either side of the old mirror. Now I just need to pick up a few more little things to finish decorating the room and we can start moving everything into place.
Come back next week for the full reveal!!
Be sure to stop by every week for the next six weeks to get an update on the progress. Check out the One Room Challenge blog to see all the other participants as well.
FARMHOUSE ENTRYWAY – ONE ROOM CHALLENGE